Dr Maeve Hutchinson
MB BCH BAO, MRCP(I), FRACP
ENDOCRINOLOGIST & GENERAL PHYSICIAN
In 2003, following her internship year, she commenced the RCPI (Royal College of Physicians in Ireland) Physician training scheme. This involved two years of GPT (General Physician Training) in General internal Medicine (GIM) at tertiary university teaching hospitals in Dublin. In 2005 she earned her GPT certificate in GIM. In the same year she also gained Membership of the Royal College of Physicians in Ireland (MRCPI).
Two subsequent years were spent developing her interest in clinical endocrinology as a registrar in endocrinology at St James’s and St Vincent’s University Hospitals in Dublin.
In 2007 having been recognised as an International Endocrine Fellow by The Endocrine Society, Maeve embarked on clinical research in papillary thyroid carcinoma at the Department of Endocrinology in the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minnesota, USA. Work completed during that time was commended by The Endocrine Society in 2008.
Maeve moved to Australia in 2009. She completed the RACP (Royal Australasian College of Physicians) Basic Physician Training (BPT), and passed the FRACP examinations in 2011.
She completed Endocrinology Advanced Physician Training (APT) as well as General and Acute Medicine APT at a number of Victorian teaching hospitals, including The Royal Melbourne Hospital, Monash Health, Goulburn Valley Health, The Mercy Women’s Hospital and Cabrini ICU.
Maeve now consults in all areas of endocrinology in private practice in Moonee Ponds.
Selected Publications and Presentations:
- Hutchinson ME, Reinalda MS, Mc Iver B, Grant CS, Thompson GB and Hay ID. “Radioiodine Remnant Ablation Did Not Improve Outcome in 1,421 Patients with Small (≤16mm) Papillary Thyroid Carcinomas Treated during 1945 through 2004.” Oral presentation at ENDO 08, The Endocrine Society annual meeting, June 2008; The Annual Meeting Steering Committee selected the abstract for the Abbott Thyroid Research Clinical Fellowship Award in conjunction with ENDO 08.
- Hutchinson ME, Hay ID, Bible KC, Grant CS, Thompson GB and Young WF. Multidisciplinary Management of Metastatic Papillary Thyroid Carcinoma Arising from Malignant Struma Ovarii. Case Series. Poster presented at AACE, Orlando 16th May 2008.
- Hutchinson ME, Gonzalez Losada T, Hay ID, Reading CC, Charboneau JW. Long- term Effectiveness of Percutaneous Ultrasound-Guided Ethanol Injections in Ablating Recurrent Neck Nodal Metastases in Patients with Either Papillary or Sporadic Medullary Thyroid Carcinoma. Case Series. Poster presentation at The Endocrine Society annual meeting 2008.
- Hay, ID, Hutchinson ME, Reinalda M, Grant, CS, Mc Iver, B, Thompson, GB, Sebo, T, and Goellner, JR. “Papillary thyroid microcarcinoma: a study of 900 cases observed in a 60-year period” Oral Presentation to the American Association of Endocrine Surgeons (AAES), Monterey, California, 7th April 2007. Subsequent journal article published Surgery. 2008; 144:980-7
- Hutchinson, M, O’Shea, D, Cawood, TJ, The Unrecognised Use of Alternative treatments for Thyroid Disorders, Poster presentation at IES November 2006 in Galway, Ireland and at BES March 2007, Birmingham; Abstract published in the Irish Journal of Medical Science, 2006: Volume 175 Number 4 Supplement 2; page 41 and in Endocrine Abstracts (2007) 13 P323
- Hutchinson ME. The Diabetic management of the Cardiothoracic patient. Oral Presentation at the National Cardiothoracic Study Day for Specialist Cardiac and Cardiothoracic Nurses, St James’ Hospital, Dublin, September 2005
- Jessie Teng*, Maeve E Hutchinson*, James C G Doery, Kay Weng Choy, Winston Chong, Peter Fuller, Jun Yang. Adrenal vein sampling: the Monash health experience (The Annual Scientific Meeting of the Endocrine Society of Australia and the Society for Reproductive Biology 2014poster #289)
- Hay, ID, Hutchinson ME, Reinalda M, Grant, CS, Mc Iver, B, Thompson, GB, Sebo, T, Goellner, JR. Papillary thyroid microcarcinoma: a study of 900 cases observed in a 60- year period. Surgery. 2008; 144:980-7
- Hutchinson, M, O’Shea, D. Early and Aggressive use of Insulin in patients with Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus. Journal of the Irish College of General Practitioners. Vol. 6 (7) 2006, ISSN 1649- 0649
- Hutchinson, ME, McKenna, MJ. The Acute Management of Osteoporosis Journal of the Irish college of General Practitioners. Vol. 7(7) 2007.
- Hay, I, Hutchinson, M, Reinalda, M, Grant, C, McIver, B & Thompson, G. Neither total thyroidectomy nor radioiodine remnant ablation improved long-term outcome in 900 patients with papillary thyroid microcarcinoma treated during 1945 through 2004. Poster Presentation at the “European Congress of Endocrinology” (ECE) Berlin, Germany, May 2008” Endocrine Abstracts (2008) 16 P685
- Hutchinson, ME, O’Shea, D. Obesity Management in Family Practice Irish Medical Journal. Volume 100, Number 5, May 2007
Maeve’s special interests:
- General Endocrinology
- Diabetes Mellitus
- Thyroid Disorders
- Cardiovascular Medicine
- General Internal Medicine
- Women’s Health